Last month my friend Deedy and I planned a day of paper marbling. At the last minute, I realized that I didn’t have supplies enough for the methyl cellulose method that I had done before, so Deedy kindly whipped up a bunch of liquid cornstarch, according to the recipe provided on this nice blog: For the Makers.
It was a little thicker (a lot thicker) than I was used to, and my first attempts were pretty interesting, let’s just say.
But I kind of like experimental accidents, so I carried on with some other blobby attempts:
But after a while we figured it out, and I was actually pretty pleased with some of the designs I was able to conjure out of the liquid goo. Some actually sort of look like what marbleized paper is supposed to kind of look like:
And the one I liked the best was this one, where I used the process to come up with something completely else.
Even more paste papers from our paste paper-making session back in March. These were done on Canson Black pastel paper.
For lack of a better title…
I took a couple of shots of a piece I was working on, because I thought these textures were kind of interesting. The photos make them even stranger.
Variations on a theme: I made these by swirling a fan brush in various patterns. (I’m not usually trying to get anything really perfect, in case that is not that obvious.)